SIT Full Form | Full Form of SIT
SIT Full Form - Special Investigation Team
Special Investigation Team
- Full Form of SIT stands for Special Investigation Team. It’s a special investigating agency of India which is appointed to research a particular case.
Need of SIT
- It is usually appointed when it's found that the existing agency isn't able to conduct proper investigation in the case or the case is against some high-profile people that may influence the investigation of existing agency.
Types of cases assigned to sit
- There is no law in the constitution to specify the type of case that could be assigned to sit. It’s usually the high-profile cases which are assigned to the present agency. Gujarat riot case and 1984 anti-Sikh riot case are some of such cases investigated by the SIT.
How SIT works
- Special investigation team will be appointed by the Supreme Court or the state government .The team is headed by one person.
- It investigates the case and makes a report to present in the court. The report undergoes scrutiny at all stages of appeal.
- The court has the proper to simply accept or reject the report. If the court rejects the report then the appellate court is the only option left to choose the fate of the case.