DVD Full Form in Computer | What is the Full Form of DVD
DVD Full Form - Digital Video Disc or Digital Versatile Disc
- Here you’ll get the solution for the following DVD related questions, full form of DVD , what is the full form of DVD , full form of DVD in computer , what is full form of DVD , full form of DVD rw , full form of DVD rom
Digital Video Disc or Digital Versatile Disc
- DVD stands for Digital Versatile Disc.
- It's commonly referred to as Digital Video Disc. It's a digital optical disc storage format used to store high capacity data like top quality videos and films.
- It's also used to store operating system. It's invented and developed by 4 companies named Philips , Sony , Toshiba and Panasonic in 1995.
- DVDs provide higher storage capacity than CDs ( compact disc) and may be played in multiple sorts of players like DVD players.
DVD Storage Capacity
- On the idea of storage capacity, DVD is often divided in 4 types.
|1.||Single-sided, Single layer||4.7 gb|
|2.||Single-sided, Double layer||8.5 gb to 8.7 gb|
|3.||Double-sided, Single layer||9.4 gb|
|4.||Double-sided, Double layer||17.08 gb|
Physical measurements of a DVD
- A DVD comes in two dimensions.
- 12 cm (120 mm) : It's the most common size and usually used for storing software, movies, and OS etc.
- 8 cm (80 mm) : This size of DVDs is used for little devices like portable music player and video camera etc.
Physical Measurements of a Dvd
- Initially, the DVD was developed as a substitute for VHS tapes, but soon they became popular as a data storage device.
- In 1972, audio CD was developed as a medium of entertainment. In 1993, two video disc formats were being developed, the Multimedia compact disc (MMCD) and therefore the Super Density (SD) disc.
- In 1997, DVD took over CD as a medium of entertainment and data storage. Twister was the first movie placed on DVD on 25 March, 1996.
- On the idea of applications, a DVD is often categorized in several ways as described below:
- DVD-ROM : It can only be used for reading and can't be written.
- DVD-R : It is used to record any sort of data.
- DVD-RW : It is read, written, erased and rewritten.
Types of Dvd
- Large storage capacity
- Excellent sound and movie quality, so best choice to store videos and audios
- Relatively cheap as they're mass-produced
- Information is stored on each side of DVD unlike CD.