THE Full Form List | General Full Forms List
THE Full Form
- The is a grammatical article in English, denoting persons or things already mentioned, under discussion, implied or otherwise presumed familiar to listeners, readers or speakers.
- It's the article in English.
- The is that the most ordinarily used word within the English language, studies and analyses of texts have found it to account for seven percent of all printed English-language words.
- It's derived from gendered articles in Old English which combined in Middle English and now features a single form used with pronouns of either gender. The word is used with both singular and plural nouns and with a noun that starts with any letter.
- This can be different from many other languages which have different forms of the article for various genders or numbers.
- Definite article principles in English are described under "Use of articles".
- The, as in phrases like "the more the better", features a distinct origin and etymology and by accident has evolved to be just like the article.