HIV Full Form | What is Hiv Full Form | Aids and Hiv Full Form
HIV Full Form - Human Immunodeficiency Virus
Hiv Full Form
- HIV stands for Human immunodeficiency virus. It’s a deadly virus that causes Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome (AIDS) which is a complicated stage of HIV infection.
- It’s a non-curable disease. This virus affects the human system and makes it very weak and thus one becomes more susceptible to common illnesses like influenza, cough, tuberculosis etc.
- HIV destroys the specific white blood cells (CD4+ cells). If an outsized number of those cells are destroyed, the body can't fight against an infection. Because the infection progress, it turns into AIDS. AIDS is that the condition of complete failure of the human system.
- The last stage of AIDS is usually complicated by infection of the lung referred to as pneumocytosis, severe weight loss, a kind of cancer referred to as Kaposi's sarcoma, etc.
- AIDS was first observed in 1981 within the United State of America. It’s believed that HIV infection was originated in non-human primates in West-central Africa and transferred to humans.
How to diagnose HIV in the human body
- There is no proper way to test the presence of HIV within the human body because HIV is extremely small and can't be isolated from the blood.
- There are different processes used in the various parts of the world to diagnose HIV.
- The most common test to diagnose HIV is ELISA ( Enzyme-linked Immunosorbent Assay ) test.
Common Causes of HIV Infection
- HIV is a retrovirus that has two types: HIV-1 and HIV-2. Both the types can infect you through HIV-infected body fluids like blood, semen and genital secretions. Some of the common reasons for HIV infection are as follows:
- You can get HIV from infected blood, semen or vaginal fluids during unprotected sex with a HIV-positive person.
- If you share drug needles with an HIV-positive person.
- An HIV-positive mother can pass this virus or infection to her baby during pregnancy, birth and breastfeeding.
Common Symptoms of HIV Infection
- The symptoms of HIV infection generally appear after a long period of time.
- Some of the common symptoms that HIV-infected people often experience are as follows:
- A Headache
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- A sore throat
- Skin rash
- Swollen glands
- Genital or anal ulcers
- Weight loss
- Night sweats
- Persistent cough
- Enlarged lymph nodes within the neck, armpits, and groin
- PWersistent diarrhea
Prevention of HIV Infection
- Don't share personal items like razors, toothbrushes etc.
- Talk to your partner about past and present sexual history. Don’t have sex with anyone who refuses to disclose information about their sexual status.
- Under no circumstances share your personal items like shaving razors and blades with anyone.
- Do not abuse alcohol or drugs. Being drunk may cause reckless sexual behavior, making you at risk of HIV and other STDs.
- Don't share needles and syringes with anyone.
- Practice safe sex like use condoms if you are unsure that you or your partner isn't infected with HIV and avoid multiple sex partners.