IPI Full Form | Full Form of IPI
IPI Full Form - International Press Institute
- IPI stands for International Press Institute.
- It's a worldwide organization established to promote and protect the liberty of the press and improve the journalism practices.
- It had been founded in October 1950 and has members in more than 120 countries.
- Its members mainly include editors, journalists and media executives.
- It's headquartered in Vienna, Austria and has an executive board to oversee the finances and activities of IPI and help in implementing its strategies.
- As of 2016, John Year wood is head of the executive board of IPI.
International Press Institute
- Monitors media development and press freedom violations.
- Advocacy to stop press freedom violations.
- Coordinates with journalists to identify press freedom concerns and fight them.
- Coordinates with governments and state officials to deal with press freedom concerns.
- Suggests necessary legislative changes to legislators.
- In October 1950, after the Second World War, 34 leading editors from different countries gathered at Columbia University to make a worldwide organization to market and protect press freedom. They formed the organization and named it the International Press Institute. The secretariat was established at Zurich in 1951.
- In the 1960s, it started projects in 32 countries and journalists were welcomed as members for the first time.
- In 1976, it had been nominated for the Nobel Prize for its "work for understanding and peace among nations". Within the same year, its Secretariat was relocated from Zurich to London.
- In 1986, the IPI members issued the Vienna Resolutions to fight the world threats to press freedom.
- 1n 1992, it shifted its headquarters from London to Vienna.
- In 1997, the IPI’s first Free Media Pioneer Award was awarded to Russia's NTV.
- In 2006, it received the News and Documentary Emmy Award for the press freedom work (2006).
- In 2011, Israeli-Palestinian Dialogue Forum contributed to peace by bringing together journalists.