GNU Full Form | Full Form of GNU
GNU Full Form - GNU's Not UNIX
- Here, you’ll get the solution of the following GNU related questions: full form of GNU , full form of GNU in computer , what is the full form of GNU , GNU full form , GNU full form in computer , GNU full form in Linux
Gnus Not Unix
- GNU stands for GNU's Not UNIX. It's a UNIX like computer OS, but unlike UNIX , it's free software and contains no UNIX code. It's pronounced as guh-noo. Sometimes, it's also written as GNU General Public License.
- It's based on the GNU Hurd kernel and it's intended to develop and share software for free of charge, for all its users. Its logo is GNU head (a large dark antelope with an extended head).
- It's originally designed by Etienne Suvasa. Later, Aurelio Heckert designed an easy and bolder version of this logo.
- The logo appears in GNU software, GNU project and in free software foundation materials.
History and Objective
- It was started as a project by Richard Stallman in 1983 and its development began on January 5, 1984.
- The most objective of GNU was to provide free software. Its similar design to UNIX, it's named as UNIX like computer system but it contains no UNIX code.
- It's available in multiple languages.
Components of GNU
Components of Gnu
- GNU Binary Utilities (binutils)
- GNU Bash shell
- GNU Core Utilities (coreutils)
- GNU Debugger (GDB)
- GNU Compiler Collection (GCC)
- GNU C Library (glibc)
- Genome desktop environment etc.
Advantages of GNU
- Compatibility and Configurability
- Low Cost
- Network friendliness
- Open source software packages
- Stable and secure
- Richard Stallman wrote a license for the development of needed software. This license is named GNU General Public License.
- It's a goal to ensure users freedom to share and alter free software.
- Now, this license is used by most of GNU software and also lot of free software that aren't the part of GNU project.