LED Full Form in Computer | What is the full form of LED in Computer
LED Full Form - Light Emitting Diode
Light Emitting Diode
- LED stands for Light Emitting Diode. It’s a two-lead semiconductor light. It’s a pn-junction diode which emits light when activated.
- It’s a very important electronic device because it's used in a lot of electrical and electronic devices now days.
- It’s mostly used in electronic test equipments, TV's, calculators, watches, radios, etc.
How LED works
- When a suitable voltage of electricity is applied to the leads, electrons recombine with electron holes and release energy within the form of photons. This effect is called electroluminescence.
- The color of LED's light is determined by the energy band gap of the semiconductor.
- LED is proved a revolutionary product in the field of light source. Its lamps are very energy efficient, economical and long lasting.
- As compared to conventional lighting bulbs and fluorescent light sources, it's almost 80% energy efficient.
Benefits of LED
Light Emitting Diode Benefits
- LED requires very less power. For example, LED TVs are more energy efficient than CRT and LCD TVs.
- LED doesn't produce heat, so it reduces the cooling loads also.
- LED doesn't produce buzzing noises and flickers etc.
- LED lights are non-toxic. It doesn't contain mercury, lead or cadmium.
- The enhanced use of LED lights can reduce carbon emission.
- With proper installation, the LED is worked for a long span of time with a low maintenance cost.
Maintenance and Safety
- LED needs very low maintenance cost.
- It also requires very low recycling charge.
- LED is recyclable with low recycling charges.
Better Picture Quality
- LED offers better image quality than LCD.
- LEDs have allowed new text, video displays and sensors to be developed. Due to their high switching rates, it is also useful in advanced communication technology.
Image of LED light
Images of Led Light
- The main advantage of LED is, LEDs are Energy Efficient and Power consumption is very Low, LEDs operate on very Low Voltage.
- LEDs are emitting an extremely high level of brightness and the intensity of the light is extremely much above other lighting technology
- Heat produces from the LED is extremely less that other lights, like incandescent bulb
- LEDs are emitted the energy, mainly that are within the color spectrum, therefore the UV emission isn't there in LED. So our eyes aren't getting affected.
- LEDs have great lifetime, average lifetime of a LED is \approx 50000 Hour (5Years approx).
- LED can reveal the actual color of the light as compared to other lights, therefore the Color Rendering Index (CRI) of LED is great.
- LEDs are in very small size, so that anywhere we will fit a LED where it’s needed, So LED may be a flexible and user friendly component.
- LED performance largely depends on the limited temperature of the operating environment, if operating a LED in higher temperatures may end in overheating the LED and that will lead to device failure.
- Voltage supplied to the LED must be above the threshold and current below the rating, otherwise the LED could be damage. Therefore the voltage sensitivity must be followed for LED.
- LED lighting is costlier than the normal light sources, like Incandescent bulb
- LEDs can cause light pollution than other light sources due to Blue pollution. That's cool white LEDs emit proportionally more blue light than conventional outdoor light sources.
- LEDs don't produce a spherical distribution of light, so they aren't advisable to use in open large area.
- The efficiency of LED decreases as the current increases.
- LED requires the correct electric polarity to light-up, so a rectifier must be used to maintain the polarity.