EMG Full Form | What is the Full Form of EMG
EMG Full Form - Electromyogram
Full Form of EMG
- EMG stands for Electromyogram. It's a diagnostic test which is performed to record the electrical activity of muscles at rest and through contraction.
- It evaluates the health of muscles and nerve cells that control them. The nerve cells which are called motor neurons send electrical signals (impulses) to muscles that allow muscles to contract.
- EMG tests how well your muscles answer electrical signals received from nerve cells (motor neurons).
- The EMG translates these electrical signals into graphs, numerical values etc that are interpreted by the specialist.
- During this test, electrodes are wont to transmit or detect electrical signals.
- This test has two components : Nerve conduction study and Needle EMG.
- Nerve conduction study:
- It's the primary a part of this test in which electrodes are placed on the skin to live the movement and strength of impulses moving between two or more points.
- It evaluates the power of nerve cells to send electrical impulses to their respective muscles.
- Needle EMG :
- During this a part of the test, a needle electrode is inserted directly into a muscle to record and evaluate electrical activity of that muscle during contraction and rest.
- It acts sort of a microphone inserted into the muscle.
Symptoms of Muscle
- A doctor usually suggests EMG when an individual shows the symptoms of a muscle or nerve disorder such as:
- Muscle weakness
- Muscle pain or cramping
- Tics ( smooth muscle twitching)
- Its results help doctor diagnose nerve disorders, muscle disorders, and other disorders that affect the coordination between nerve cells and muscles such as:
- Nerve damage due to disk compression within the neck or back
- Nerve compression from carpal tunnel syndrome
- Neuromuscular diseases like amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), muscular dystrophy , poliomyelitis etc.
- Peripheral neuropathy.