LFT Full Form | Full Form of LFT
LFT Full Form - Liver Function Tests
- LFT stands for Liver Function Tests.
- It's a gaggle of blood tests that are performed to detect and monitor liver disorders.
- These tests also are referred to as a liver panel or hepatic function tests.
- The liver is one among the most important organs within the body which metabolizes, detoxifies and filters harmful drugs and substances in our body.
- It also stores vitamins, minerals and synthesizes proteins, enzymes and bile.
Liver Function Tests
- In the LFT, the amount of proteins and enzymes in the blood produced by liver cells are checked to understand how well your liver is functioning.
- If the levels are higher or less than the traditional levels within the blood of an individual, he or she could also be affected by a disease.
- Your doctor may recommend LFTs if you've got any of the following:
- Pale body
- Dark urine
- Low appetite
- Heavy drinker
- Nausea or vomition
- Abdominal swelling or pain
- Family history of disease
- To detect liver infections like hepatitis C
- To measure the degree of cirrhosis
Liver Function Tests Symptoms
Some Liver Function Tests
- Alanine transaminase test (ALT) :
- It's also referred to as SGPT. Alanine transaminase is an enzyme found within the liver and plays a crucial role in processing proteins. When the liver is broken or inflamed, ALT is released into the bloodstream and its level rises within the blood. It's often performed to diagnose hepatitis.
- Aspartate transaferase test (AST) :
- It's also referred to as SGOT. Aspartate transaferase is an enzyme found in liver and various other body tissues. This enzyme also processes proteins. It's released into the blood if the liver is injured or damaged.
- Alkaline phosphate (ALP) :
- It's an enzyme found in the liver, bile ducts and bone. the upper levels of ALP in the bloodstream indicate liver damage or a disease like a blocked common bile duct or a bone disease.
- Total bilirubin and direct bilirubin :
- Bilirubin is produced after the traditional breakdown of red blood cells. It passes through the liver before it's excreted out from the body in stool. Just in case of a disease, it's not processed properly by the liver and its levels increase within the blood. The high levels of bilirubin usually indicate Jaundice. In total bilirubin, the extent of all of the bilirubin in the blood is measured. In direct bilirubin, only the bilirubin processed by the liver and attached to chemicals is measured.
- Albumin and total protein :
- This test measures the albumin, a blood protein produced by the liver, and therefore the total amount of all other proteins present in the blood. Albumin helps fight infections and performs various other functions within the body. The low levels of albumin and total proteins may indicate a liver disorder.
- Gamma-glutamyltransferase (GGT) :
- It's also an enzyme in the blood. The upper levels of GGT indicate common bile duct damage or liver damage.