BMI Full Form in Medical | Full Form of BMI | What is the Full Form of BMI
BMI Full Form - Body Mass Index
- Here, you’ll get the solution of the following BMD related questions: full form of BMI , BMI full form , BMI full form in medical , What is the full form BMI
Body Mass Index
- BMI stands for Body Mass Index. It's a measure to classify people under the following categories: underweight, normal weight, overweight and obese.
- It's the ratio of your weight in kilograms to the square of your height in meters. People with high BMI have too much body weight or body fat for his or her height.
- BMI gives you a rough estimate of your overall fitness and possibility of developing chronic diseases like heart disease, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis, type 2 diabetes, gallstones etc.
- A highly muscular person may have a high BMI with none health risk. BMI was introduced within the 1830s by Lambert Adolphe Jacques Quetelet, a Belgian mathematician. It's also referred to as Quetelet index.
- BMI =< 18.5 indicates Underweight
- BMI = 18.5-24.9 indicates Normal weight
- BMI = 25-29.9 indicates Overweight
- BMI = 30-34.9 indicates Obesity
- BMI= 35-39.9 indicates severely obese
- BMI > 40 indicates morbid obesity
How to calculate BMI
- BMI = weight in kilograms / (height in meters) 2
- BMI = weight in pounds / (height in inches) 2 X 703 (if pounds and inches are used, a conversion factor of 703 must be applied).
A person with height 2 meters and weight 80 Kg will have BMI = 20, as calculated below:
BMI = 80 kg / (2)2 meter
= 80 / 4 = 20 (normal weight)
1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds
1 meter = 39.37 inches
So, weight in pounds of this person= 80 x 2.2 = 176 pounds
Similarly, height in inches of this person = 2 x 39.37 = 78.74 inches
BMI = 176 pounds / (78.74)2 inches x 703
=176 / 6200 x 703
= 20 / 6199 = 20 (normal weight)